Fast, affordable, 1-on-1 assistance

As low as $14
Fast, affordable, 1-on-1 assistance
Lexus Mechanic

Ask your own question to a Lexus Mechanic online now

As low as $14
money-back guarantee

Lexus

My 97 lexus es300 shakes at 60 mph, and...

Resolved • Response time 1 hour 6 minutes

31 Jul 2013

My 97 lexus es300 shakes at 60 mph, and DOESN'T smooth out at higher speeds. Can you let me know what the problem, if it's repairable, how much is it to repair in terms of labor and cost. i live near san francisco. i'm trying to sell my car, and wondering if it's worth it to repair or sell as is. the car has 200 thousand miles.
Read Less

31 Jul 2013

Ask your own question
Lexus Mechanic's response
31 Jul 2013
ClayA
ClayA
Automotive Technician
Is the shake in mainly in the steering wheel at 60mph+? Does it seem to go away if you slow down below 60mph?
31 Jul 2013
Customer reply
1 Aug 2013
I'm pretty sure it feels like the whole car shakes. yes, below 60 it runs fine.
1 Aug 2013
Lexus Mechanic's response
1 Aug 2013
ClayA
ClayA
Automotive Technician
Okay, then I would suspect that you have a bad or out of balance tire. You can carry it to a tire center and have them balance and check the tires.
1 Aug 2013
Customer reply
1 Aug 2013
Hi Clay, the car's been shaking for years, and I'm sure we've taken it to a tire center. Could it be anything else? What if it was just the steering wheel?
1 Aug 2013
Lexus Mechanic's response
1 Aug 2013
ClayA
ClayA
Automotive Technician
It could be a bad CV axle but that is not as common as tire problems.
1 Aug 2013
Customer reply
2 Aug 2013
Thanks Clay. Last question. If it's a tire issue, how much should I expect to pay to fix. If it's a CV axle, how much should I pay?
2 Aug 2013
Lexus Mechanic's response
2 Aug 2013
ClayA
ClayA
If it is a balance issue only then it is about $40 to balance four tires. If it a bad tire then tire prices can vary greatly based on brand, type, size, and store. If it is a CV axle then a axle should cost around $150 for an aftermarket one. Genuine Toyota axles are a lot more expensive. Your car has two CV axles and could possible need one or both. The labor rate is 1.5 hours per axle.
Customer rating:
ClayA
ClayA
Automotive Technician
Avg. question only $22
Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills
2 Aug 2013
Your question matters. ClayA and 4 other Lexus Mechanics are ready to help. Ask your own question

• 100% money-back guarantee
  • Prices start as low as $14
  • Join 8.5 million satisfied customers
Conversations are covered by our Disclaimer.